Uy, meron na uli! Sana makasali ako....
The Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) is inviting Filipino artists to join the 2010 GSIS Art Competition. This year’s competition has an open theme. The artist is encouraged to explore his best in presenting and conceptualizing his art entry. It is through this competition that we hope to view and produce diverse interpretations of what’s inside an artist’s mind. From the previous two (2) categories, this year, we have added the Sculpture Category in order to invite more artists to participate.
Official entry forms are available in all GSIS offices (Headquarters, regional Offices and Satellite Office) and other offices and galleries starting February 22, 2010.
Please read all the mechanics, rules and regulations carefully. The GSIS shall be strict in the implementation of the guidelines set. Entries could be disqualified for technical reasons.
CATEGORIES & ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. There will be three (3) categories for this year’s competition:
I. Representational (any style, realistic, stylized (distorted figure), representational cubism, etc)
II. Non-representational (abstract) i.e. purely non-representational, no-recognizable figures and objects.
2. The competition is open to all Filipino artists age 18 years old (by April 17, 2010) and above. Participants can submit one entry per category. Therefore, each participant can submit one entry for representational, one entry for non-representational and one entry for sculpture. There is no participation fee.
3. The theme is open.
4. For the painting categories, the required size is 3 feet x 4 feet (horizontal or vertical excluding frame) with 10 kilos allowable maximum weight (including frame).
4.1 All entries must be ready for hanging (museum wrap or box type is allowed)
4.2 The medium acceptable is only oil on canvas, acrylic on canvas or watercolor. Entry using collage, decoupage, assemblage or use of non-pigment based materials like paper, board, plastic metal, etc. IS NOT allowed. The entry must hang on a wall to qualify. Appropriate support, and/or equivalent devices should be provided to ensure the proper hanging of the artwork (ready for hanging). [For watercolor entries, any watercolor paper is allowed EXCEPT Illustration Board]
5. For sculpture, the maximum size requirements are as follows: Height: 72 inches, Width: 36 inches and Depth: 48 inches
5.1 Maximum weight for the entries should not exceed 300 kilos.
5.2 Entries must be done in the generally accepted medium for sculpture such as Metal (steel, brass, copper, aluminum, et al); Hardwood (narra, mahogany, yakal, et al); Stone (marble, alabaster, granite, limestone, et al); Terracotta or stoneware( porcelain, ceramic, et al); Resin and other durable sculpture media.
6. The entry must be dated not earlier than 2010 must be his/her original work, and must not have been exhibited before nor revised nor awarded a prize in another contest.
7. The entry painting or sculpture MUST BE SIGNED but must be covered with masking tape prior to submission, to conceal the artist’s identity. It must also be properly labeled at the back, indicating the following: Artist (Name, Address, and Contact Numbers) Title of the work, Medium, Size, Year and Price.
8. All participants must be responsible for their entries. The GSIS shall not undertake any pick-up or transportation of any artwork to or from any point of origin. WET PAINTINGS AND SCULPTURES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
9. Entries must be submitted at the GSIS Museum located at the GSIS Main Office, Financial Center, Reclamation Area, Pasay City (CCP Complex – Diosdado. Macapagal Ave) on APRIL 17, 2010 (SATURDAY) FROM 8:00 AM UNTIL 4:00 PM only.
10. Entries submitted before or after the stated date and time shall not be accepted. Mail forwarders coming from the provinces should be advised by the participants themselves that the entry will only be accepted on the said submission date. Participants from the provinces are also encouraged to group together so that bringing or shipping their entries to Pasay City will be cheaper.
11. During the submission, the entry must have the following:
A) Completely filled-up and signed official entry form with one (1) 1 x 1 ID colored picture.
B) Photocopy of ONE valid ID (for age verification). The only acceptable IDs include: Current School ID, PRC License, Driver’s License, Official Company ID, copy of Passport, Postal ID, SSS ID, GSIS-E-card, Senior Citizen’s ID, Voter’s ID, NBI/Police Clearance, AAP Membership ID.
C) 5” x 7” colored photo of the work with the following information written at the back: Artist (Name, Address, and Contact Numbers) Title of the work, Medium, Size, Year and Price.
D) Notarized affidavit of the ENTRY FORM certifying originality of entry and subscription to the rules and regulations of the competition.
Note: Application and entries will not be accepted without the above-mentioned requirements
JUDGING, PRIZES AND AWARDING DATE
12. Announcement and awarding of winners will be held at the GSIS Theater. The date for the awarding of winners will be announced later.
13. Cash Awards for the winners in each of the three (3) categories
1st Prize - P 300,000.00
2nd Prize - 200,000.00
3rd Prize - 100,000.00
ALL PRIZES ARE SUBJECT TO 20% TAX PER GOVERNMENT RULING
14. All Prize Winning entries will automatically become properties of the GSIS and will be included in the GSIS Art Collection.
15. Judges may decide not to award prizes if the entries do not meet certain artistic and competition requirements. All decisions of the board of judges SHALL BE FINAL.
16. The GSIS Museum reserves the right to use the name and photo of the artist and his/her entry for free in any broadcast, or print medium. The artist also grants GSIS the right to exhibit the entries as deemed fit. DUE TO LIMITED SPACE, NOT ALL ENTRIES WILL BE EXHIBITED. The GSIS reserves the right to decide which of the entries will be displayed during the competition exhibition. LIKEWISE, THE GSIS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DECIDE WHICH OF THE ENTRIES WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE CATALOGUE OF ENTRIES.
17. All entries on display should not be sold or taken out from the museum within the duration of the exhibit. The artist is responsible in dealing with the prospective buyer(s)
18. All possible care will be taken for the entries submitted. However, THE GSIS MUSEUM ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE TO THE ENTRIES BEFORE, DURING AND/OR AFTER THE COMPETITION.
19. ALL NONE WINNING ENTRIES MUST BE RETRIEVED BY THE PARTICIPANTS OR THEIR DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVES STARTING JULY 1 UNTIL AUGUST 28, 2010 ONLY. UNCLAIMED ARTWORKS AFTER THIS DATE WILL BE DISPOSED BY THE GSIS MUSEUM ACCORDINGLY.
20. Officers of AAP and other individual artists tapped to assist the GSIS are not allowed to participate in the said competition.